Monday, August 17, 2009

It's all in your Mind

"Nothing happens unless first we dream.” – Carl Sandburg
 
Photobucket

Walking up the stairs today was akin to stepping into an inferno. How is it we think of hell as being down, not up? (Heat rises.) Makes you wonder if there wasn’t a major blunder made somewhere along the line. At the top of the stairs, I delicately step over furry bodies spread-eagle across doorways, floors, any place that might offer up a slight hint of a breeze. Downstairs is cooler, yet every animal I own is upstairs with its tongue hanging out, playing dead. (Once again, I’m wondering about the insanity of nature.) So where am I? Where else? I’m upstairs with the rest of the insane posse getting ready to take a shower.

“It’s hot,” I whine pitifully.

A human body rounds the corner and I start in with another pitiful, “It’s roasting up here!”

"It's not that hot," he says, so that I can read his lips. "You’re not dying, it’s been worse.”

“It was ninety-eight degrees downtown!" I yell. "I’m DYING!”

I imagine myself as the melodramatic Stanley Kowalski yelling "Stella!" in A Street Car Named Desire, with my hand thrown across my forehead for effect.

The other half of the conversation walks back downstairs chuckling, probably mumbling something in the way of "You're nuts!"

I never said I didn’t have a touch of melodrama in me, now did I? Truth of the matter is, I used to deal with the heat quite well. Nine years of living in Florida with a half-broken-down-fan, which squealed in protest more than cooled, taught me all about what HOT was. Growing up poor, never away from my small town, the local library and free books were my escape. I could travel to cooler worlds I would never have imagined possible. Books taught me to dream, to remove myself from whatever was going on in my life, to wish and hope for things that were only real in my imagination. Books are like that.

Today, I let my imagination loose on the page in front of me, creating an alternate reality that comes into being with each word, each sentence, each paragraph. Give me a place, a time, an object, and my mind will create and shape something. I can imagine the best or the worst of any given situation, build on it, and make it into a story. Like real life, my characters will fail or beat the odds. Depends on what side of the field my imagination is plowing that day. My character can be in a deep dank forest and hear screams coming from all directions or take that first step from friendship to the first kiss. (Or am I talking about the same story?) Anything is possible in the imagination. In my imagination, I can be eccentric, or a jokester, or take life too seriously.

Insert the topic of heat into my mind and what happens? I find myself imagining I’m in the sticky hot Louisiana Bayou. I can even smell the dark loamy dirt, the damp musky smell of the water as a splash is heard and a gator goes after something on the silt shore. Tiny gnats buzz in droves around my head, up my nose, in my ears, and I’m batting them away furiously, desperate for some relief, prose blasting like a heat wave through my mind.

(I can even imagine myself as a superhero! If only I could create a rainstorm. No jokes about my being native and a rain dance:
Hero Factory)


-Indigo

44 comments:

  1. Don't forget the noseeums. [shudder]

    Yes, I know that you have a sense of drama! That's one of the things that is so fun about you! Hugs, Beth

    ReplyDelete
  2. I sense that you are enjoying this phase of you life, writing and taking many journies :o)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your imagination! I'm glad you feed it well! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well we could always ask for Rain?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't think you are naive...or is it native....never mind!

    ReplyDelete
  6. after riding around in some seriously scorching heat, i am glad it was a cool 84 degrees today with almost 100% humidity.....

    i got some great mental images as i read the part about you going up the stairs.

    good to hear from you stay cool and stay gold.

    xxalainaxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'd rather be cold than hot.. We went to the desert earlier this year and it was unbearable. How do old people retire to the desert the way they do? Sure, it's cheap, but still....

    ReplyDelete
  8. I used to think (real hard) when faced with hot, humid conditions, I'd think I was in a deep freezer, just shivering with the cold, and I'd actually get goose bumps.

    That does not happen now.

    You write real good, ma'am.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've been dancing in the rain for years ... I love the way you color your stories Indigo.
    *** Coy ***

    ReplyDelete
  10. We were once living and moving from, Bullhead City, Arizona. T.V. weather always lists the highs of Death Valley but, it really does not compare. The night we were driving back out to load up the moving truck, it had been 136 degrees! The whole Indian nation must have performed a tribal rain dance, just for us. We rained on our way out, and I just love the aroma of the coyote bush after a good soak. We arrived to the smiles of our loyal friends who were happy to be out at midnight in the cool of the evening. We opened our upstairs apartment door and kissed the ground, and then freaked out that we had accidentally left the air on..too low. We flipped the lights up to find the temp kept at a steady and chilly 80 degrees.

    Miracles do happen on any given eve.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I prefer cooler over hot. One can survive better with cold than hot.

    ReplyDelete
  12. hey indigo, the heat getting to you, heee heee heee. just kidding. but you told this so well, i had to laugh...

    ReplyDelete
  13. I need my AC these days, my whining finally paid out when my dog needed it to survive. If it hadn't been for her would my husband had broken down?????? Whatever it took. Your writing is wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  14. oh, man, i wish the heat made me feel creative.
    i do not deal well with heat. i do much better with cold.
    i think of those images i've seen of hot new yorkers fanning themselves on fire escapes, sticky and waving to neighbors from common ground. yes, it looks romantic but it also looks like my version of hell. and, yes, up seems the way to go to find far too much heat. odd.

    ReplyDelete
  15. You seem to have a gift for creativity! For the record, I get cranky when it's hot as well. It seems this gets worse as I get older...

    ReplyDelete
  16. i love the space you are in and the blog looks wonderful!! one day we will be standing in line to buy your best seller!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hot here, too, my friend. 92ish. Ugh.

    Sending love,

    SB

    ReplyDelete
  18. 98! I feel for ya girlfriend. not a summer goes by that we hit that number and higher. stay cool my friend. love your writing! hugz!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hi Indigo
    98 degree's is HOT- we had that yesterday. I hate the heat I have no energy, humor or imagination when I am hot. I sure hope it cools down for you soon! I love your imagination as always :)
    Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  20. If you're going to be a superhero, be sure to make sure one of your powers is to freeze things with your eyes.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I think this time of year is truly the Dog Days of summer. Hot and humid here. But I love the South. It's home.

    ReplyDelete
  22. It's HOT HOT HOT HOT and HUMID HUMID HUMID here...I feel like I'm going to burst in to flames on a regular basis.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Wonderful imagination -- well written.

    I will enjoy following your blog.

    Hello friend,
    Sue

    ReplyDelete
  24. I get incredibly cranky when I am hot..

    ReplyDelete
  25. As i get older, I find I tolerate heat a lot better than I did when I was younger. I rather enjoy it, in fact. When my son and I were in Trinidad this last January, I reveled in the heat - though I find I STILL don't like sweating as I sleep.

    I have you in my reader now - I am finally starting to get everything re-organized. I won't miss any more posts. xoxox

    ReplyDelete
  26. I love the heat. I'm the air conditioner police at my house..turn it on, and risk a citation!

    The last part reminded me of Black Snake Moan. Too bad they didn't have you write the screenplay. (ha,ha).

    ReplyDelete
  27. I'm tired of the heat & the humidity. I'm looking forward to FALL for cooler temps & all the baeutiful leaves.

    Great imagination!

    ReplyDelete
  28. How did I fall so far off the face of blogsphere to miss the new page altoegther - and me I went to the old page and was sad that I got no invite! Ha!
    See it is all about me - oh my goodness...

    SO glad I found you ( or did you find me) again!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Indigo-Yes, I have an imagination like that too, it can be an intresting best friend but care is needed as to who rules who. `rick

    ReplyDelete
  30. This is my first trip to your blog! I'll be back! -Jayne

    ReplyDelete
  31. The feild of imagination being plowed, loved that. It's so true. But I like that you let your characters fail sometimes. Show's your not afraid I think. And I hate the heat/humidity...I go a little batty, like brain melt. I am a creature of cool water, especially in those conditions!

    ReplyDelete
  32. You wrote that too well. I feel like I need some OFF or bugspray right now;)

    ReplyDelete
  33. They are all laying around upstairs???????? Yikes!

    Funny I was just thinking about that. How I use to be able to cope with hot summers! How did I do that?

    Ann:)

    ReplyDelete
  34. I'm with you on the heat issue. I too could work outdoors most of the day. I'm lucky now to make it through the necessary routines and then I make a mad dash indoors.
    Take good care.

    ReplyDelete
  35. Oh trust me... I live on the 6th Floor of a building in NYC with NO HEAT- it's okay to be dramatic! It's hot as HELL!

    <3 XO

    ReplyDelete
  36. lol
    I cannot take heat either. I never had too much trouble with it until I married and moved to the city. Ever since then, no matter where I am I just can't handle heat. I can get a heat headache when it's in the 70s. Hope you were able to cool down, Drama Queen. lol

    ReplyDelete
  37. How did we all survive without air conditioning? Somehow I was raised in a home without it. Never owned an air conditioned car until our daughter was born. Now 21 she finds it bizarre that I barely use it unless transporting Patti. (MS "needs" air conditoning.) My Mom always told me to go read a cold story! Doctor Zhivago will send you looking for a coat no matter how hot the day! :)

    Caregivingly Yours, Patrick
    http://caregivinglyyours.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  38. Wonderful prose. Brought me back to my childhood in southern Ontario. 2:00 in the morning, 90 degree's and a 100% humidity, laying on the bed. The nights felt like an eternity.

    And come to think of it, it was up on the second floor.

    ReplyDelete
  39. I'm with Chris on this one, Indigo. I could feel the heat and I'm starting to scratch the bug bites and I'm here in Detroit where it will be 40 degrees F tonight!

    ReplyDelete
  40. I miss the heat...here in Illinois we had a very cool summer. I often wonder about my cats, we have cool basement but they prefer the hot living room...weird

    ReplyDelete
  41. I loved the "Stellaaa" reference. I used to do that same thing with the back of my hand on my forehead.
    I'm not Indian, but we sure seem to have connections!

    Beautifully written, as always.

    {{hugs}}

    ReplyDelete
  42. I lived in books, I couldn't write so I read, and read, and read some more. I found my fulfillment in books, the heroism, the magic and world away from the intolerable existence was necessary for me. I found books and booze at about the same time and I read the way I drank, prodigiously! I think the volume of reading I did helped me to self-educate. For this I have a lot of gratitude. I think the first full book I read was Dragon song by Anne Mccaffery. And hot…I can relate! I lived in southern Idaho for thirteen years and remember it still being in the mid ninety’s at midnight…sucks!!!

    Wander

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know I haven't read these old post in awhile. I do believe I'm a better writer today. Still there may be clues to who I am dispersed throughout.

      I was a very LOUD advocate for a few things for a while there - domestic abuse, alcoholism, animal cruelty...the list goes on. I may be deaf but my words, they can sing in hearts in a way that makes people listen. (Hugs) Indy

      Delete

Thank you for giving my silence a voice, my muse your words, and taking the time to discover my prose.