Friday, October 2, 2009

Her Restless Elegance

“My sorrow, when she's here with me, thinks these dark days of autumn rain are beautiful as days can be; she loves the bare, the withered tree; she walks the sodden pasture lane.” – Robert Frost

Photobucket

A few weeks before October turned the corner, I felt her cold ethereal fingers linger along my neck. Her whispered breath echoed: “Soon. Watch for me,” leaving a gentle breeze across my skin. I knew then. The crisp air with foretold promise would soon warrant the warmth of long sleeves and overcoats.

My lungs breathe heavy of the damp cold, spewing forth a telltale misted breath. The flames dance in delight as the pellet stove alights to chase the cold back outside where it belongs. I wrap myself in Indian blankets adorning the couch. Ensconsed in comforting layers, bundled warmly I smile. My tea is held between clasped hands with hot steam vapor rising. The tree limbs bow and wave outside the window, nodding as the wind and rain dance in merriment at autumn’s restless arrival.

Watch the leaves whisper, shaking in tandem with the limbs of the tree. Watch as the sun's muted days turn us umber, marigold, and burgundy, shades of orange, purple and red. Watch the wind echoes in whispers against my window pane.

Warm food becomes the norm in the form of stews, chili, and baked pies. Autumnal aromas rise from apples, pumpkins, and spiced cakes. Blazing leaves piled high, fires burning in the hearth, my coat adorned with a scarf, a happy pups delight, dance in the Autumn Equinox of my mind.

It's time to welcome her elegance, the majesty of her season, I tell my dog as we make our way outside.

Autumn whispers unbidden, tracing ethereal windblown fingers along my face again, “I am here! See me! Feel me! Smell me! Hear me!"

My step quickens along the wooded path. In a somber moment, I bend and pick up a withered leaf, crisp and burnished by autumn's chill and crumble it in between my fingers.

I finally whisper back, my voice carried on the wind. “Yes I see, smell and feel you my majestic autumn, but I can’t hear you. You can’t change it all.”

Images of the child I was crunching through the piles of leaves along the sidewalk, that sound of long ago haunts this moment. A silent reminder that some things don’t change with the season. A wet nose is suddenly in my hand, sniffing at the remnants of fallen leaf. With amber brown eyes of innocence she looks up at me as if begging to know my heart.

It is nothing more than a moment, I whisper, just enough to remember that some things change and some remain, through winter, spring, summer and now fall. And some of those changes come with a price to be paid and some, like Autumn come free and beautiful.

Yes, my majestic Autumn, I see you laid out in visual splendor! Yes, my majestic Autumn, I welcome, welcome these restless changes of your seasonal heart!

- Indigo

Picture Found Here

40 comments:

  1. Oh, so lovely! You have written the perfect love letter to my favorite season.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful... you captured fall and my heart as always with your words!

    be well...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am willing and waiting to get cozy by the fire, with a book and a blanket, and a hot mug of almost anything. Be well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You almost--almost--make me excited for fall. :) Hugs, Beth

    ReplyDelete
  5. I do not like Fall but after reading your log up I may give it another chance. You write very well and readable. Good job, Thanks for sharing, Bill

    ReplyDelete
  6. YOU WRITE SO BEAUTIFULLY! Enjoy your Autumn

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautifully done, Indigo. I love
    autumn. Its what I miss about my
    home state of Kentucky. You have
    captured it well! Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  8. Indigo-it's beautiful. made me wonder what it would be like to go into autumn knowing it was your last one. who knows. could be. ~rick

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your writing is so visual and strong. I so love this piece.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lovely...your words capture the spirit of Fall perfectly.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for this it brought some childhood memorys back to me

    ReplyDelete
  12. so so beautiful. i love this season so much. what a glorious love letter.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Almost makes me want for the deepening of the fall and the embrace of winter.

    ...almost. Good piece of writing.

    ReplyDelete
  14. How fall is my favorite time of year....the colors, smells, fires...love it....

    Wonderful writing....now pass me a cup of hot chocolate please :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. You, my friend, have made me breathless, speechless in love with Autumn. xo

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is beautiful, makes me sad that I live in So. Calif. where this kind of fall is only in movies and books... ours is nice, but not nearly as nice as the one you describe here!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love fall and you have written a lovely ode to her.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Indigo, this post is so wonderful and wonderfully written! Blessings dear one! ♥

    ReplyDelete
  19. wonderfully lyrically put my dear friend. This is my favorite season of all!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Autumn isn't wholly my favourite season - except for those parts who described in this entry :-)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Indigo, Summer turns, Autumn turns, Winter turns, the Earth turns, today turns into tomorrow, my thoughts turn, but the joy you express in life seems constant to me.

    DB

    ReplyDelete
  22. If ever the approach of Autumn has been written in such a manner before, I am unaware of it~
    Beautiful prose my friend.
    Stunning......

    ReplyDelete
  23. as someone who loves the fall, I've got to tell you, this was a wonderful read and a welcome to all things autumnal... You captured it perfectly.

    Mik

    ReplyDelete
  24. I love this! You have such talent for writing.

    I especially love autumn food :)

    ReplyDelete
  25. What beautiful writing. You make me want to throw open the windows of my soul and let the autumn sweep in....in fact, I think I will!

    ReplyDelete
  26. just found your blog Thank you !you writing about fall is so breathtaking and all I can say is thank you !

    ReplyDelete
  27. Hi Indigo :)
    I just love you description of fall. It is my favorite season. I used my crock pot for the first time last night. I just love your writings. I hope things are going well with you my friend.
    Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  28. For some reason that I know you'll understand, I love the dying season of fall, it always amazes me and quickens my heart, my pulse and my senses. It all comes back to me in body memory this season, each season. thank you for the most eloquent and amazing reminder Indigo, you are a dear heart in this world who I am honored to call friend.

    Love
    gabi

    ReplyDelete
  29. I doubt you'd remember me, but I do remember you. How could I not? When you write I see what you see, hear what you hear, feel what you feel. So glad I found your journal again. I've been off for awhile, just now created a new journal. You used to visit my "Hey Let's Talk" journal, which is gone now. But would love it if you visited my new one.
    http://barb-letschat.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  30. Indigo, this is so beautifully written! A perfect description of autumn, and it takes me into your very moment and experience!
    I have to bookmark your blog so I can remember to come by here more often. I just love you, girl!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Beautiful! I love this time of year... I can't take enough pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  32. This is beautiful - what a rich post.

    ReplyDelete
  33. Indigo, you begin today's post with an appropriate
    Robert Frost quote.

    May I say truthfully, if Robert Frost were blogging today he would begin HIS post with an "INDIGO" quote. I am NOT trying to be funny, OK?

    Peace, and LOVE for you, Dear Heart

    ReplyDelete
  34. Beautiful post. I love fall!

    ReplyDelete
  35. This is so apt..today I'm ditching my responsibilities, and going hiking with my friend to see the fall splendor (Michigan). I lived in Texas for awhile, and really missed the seasons. Now I don't take them for granted anymore.

    Thanks for your kind comment. I was feeling burned out on blogging, but so many people have encouraged me.

    ReplyDelete
  36. Fall is here too. Finally the hot, humid days of summer are fading away. And these brilliant golden fall days are here. I feel like cocooning or lying in the grass looking up at the sky.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for giving my silence a voice, my muse your words, and taking the time to discover my prose.