Sunday, November 15, 2009

New York State of Mind

"Start spreading the news, I’m leaving today
I want to be a part of it - new york, new york
These vagabond shoes, are longing to stray
Right through the very heart of it - new york, new york"
- Frank Sinatra

Photobucket

It was bound to happen.

I spent the summer and most of autumn writing frantically with no end in sight. I was in a state of pure ecstasy as my mind emptied out on the page in a possessed frenzy. Before my first book was even on its way to an agent, I was already finishing the first draft of yet another.

Unfounded, without warning or reasoning my flood of words trickled down to a slow siphoning stream.

My mind was still creating and building, writing away as if nothing had changed. My fingers however weren’t exactly moving across the keyboard in a race against time. It was obvious in varying degrees of distracted bedlam.

Distracted bedlam consisted of being frightened by the fur covered cat toy mistakenly thrown in the dishwater instead of the bin with the other toys. Misplacing things so often; I doubt a well trained blood hound could help. The worse however, is the food I wrapped and put back in the oven instead of its desired designation the refrigerator. Take it from me, two days later the pungent smell coming from the oven leaves something to be desired.

In the midst of all this came an invitation to get together with a friend in the city. And thus begins my journey into a New York State of Mind.

For anyone who has ever lived and breathed the city at one point or another - I can't help but ask, if you have ever experienced the silence.

From the moment I emerged from Port Authority, the writer in me surged to the forefront as NYC came alive in a visual palette. I found myself turning down an offer of an umbrella in lieu of constantly turning my face upward to take in the majesty of the buildings and colorful lit backdrop. Even through the light drizzle of rain an unmistakable milieu of grandiose presented itself.

It was a miasma of bodies and cars swimming in every direction possible. I couldn’t take in enough and wanted for more. My eyes explored architecture juxtapositions and details. I took in the merging ethnicity, the heart of New York – rich and poor weaving amongst one another to the pulse of the city that throbbed from every crevice possible.

And I smiled; submerged in my silence, my deafness…I saw the city in all its visual interpretation that was possible. I imagine if the traffic and all the various voices, construction and noise that reverberate from NYC had intruded in my thoughts, I might have paused in my overwhelming wonderment. The writer in me thinks not. It would have been just one more descriptive nuance to chip away at the dam that had been holding back my words.

Therein was the hidden mystery. There is no such thing as writer’s block. It’s a simple matter of changing things up. Stalemate is nothing more than boredom or lack of tenacity.
Life has too much too offer – if you’re willing to keep yourself open to the possibilities.

NYC was the nectar in which I was able to sup for inspiration.

My muse was still operating overtime; she just needed to be visually stimulated into movement - From imagination and reality, to fingers tapping out the storyline one word after another.

I live in upstate NY. I have a feeling I’ll be making quite a few excursions into the city that literally breathes life into this writer’s mind and helped kick start my prose back into overdrive. - Indigo

Picture can be found here

34 comments:

  1. I love bustling, cosmopolitan cities. I've been fortunate to live in a few, mostly in Europe. There is nothing like the melee of different nationalities, mode of dress, the skyscrapers. I like to visit rural areas, but I need the city. (Just the other way around for you!)

    Glad you got your inspiration back!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love New York as well. I haven't been in a while-we may go down during the holidays. Yea, it definately *wakes* whatever is going on inside with all the activity and hustle and bustle going on 24/7. Great that you got your inspiration back!

    ReplyDelete
  3. an injection of life! live it, love it. and then take me back to the peace and tranquility of home... happy writing dear indigo!

    ReplyDelete
  4. life or chaotic energy... interesting p o v.
    BM

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds delightful. perhaps one day I will visit and partake in the adventure of NYC. glad you had a good time!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great post, I felt the city through you and loved the tour, every minute of it...the writing, the city, all of it!!!!!

    Much love to you across the wind.
    xo GM

    ReplyDelete
  7. New York City is so magical, especially leading up to the holidays. Enjoy every minute of it!
    Best,
    Marty

    ReplyDelete
  8. Such a beautiful post. The energy of cities does something to me as well; I'm drawn to them and feel so full and at peace when I get out of them.

    I'm so envious that you're so close to NYC!! <3

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think a change always inspires writing in me - so good for you! Cannot wait tos ee the pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  10. you make the city sound absolutely captivating!! i wish my memories of los angeles were as such..
    you are a brilliant writer and your words bring the beauty in everything. thanks for this visual

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love, love, love New York! So much to see and do- the most interesting people. I'm invigorated just thinking about it. You'll have such fun!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your description of New York City makes a county girl yearn to see and feel it.

    ReplyDelete
  13. So glad that a trip to the Big Apple was able to break the logjam :o)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow. Thrilled to have found your blog. Thanks, Debra, for connecting us in this virtual ether. I love this post for so many reasons. First, I have lived my whole life in Manhattan and through your words I was able to see "my city" through new eyes. There is something ruthlessly inspiring about this place. I also love this post insofar as it deflates writer's block. If we can muster the tenacity, mobilize our muse, there are always words.

    Thanks for this piece. I will be back and often!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I have been to NY once a long time ago and my it was a noisy city. It has been wodnerful looking at it through your eyes...Glad it gave you the insperation you needed to get started again X
    Much Love Syil xx

    ReplyDelete
  16. Sounds wonderful and almost surreal without the sound. Large cities always make me nervous.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love this post. I love trying to see things through your eyes.

    Hugs to you, darlin'.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I miss New York. Your post made me miss it more. I lived there when I was just out of college. I need to go back.

    Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  19. lovely post indigo.thankyou.but i shall stay here,in my peaceful,now winters here anyway,little village.i wish you well my friend,much love,mort xx

    ReplyDelete
  20. I have only been to Manhattan once and I fell in love with the city. One day I would love to go back.
    Thanks for visiting.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I thought I'd send you the name of the band that plays in Linda's video. They are called Band of Horses and the name of the song is
    The Funeral.
    Here are the lyrics.

    Take Care.

    ReplyDelete
  22. WOW. I discovered your blog through Frankie's (FrankieWrites).
    I read this entry & could not wipe the grin away. It is beautiful. I have visited New York on previous occasions and every one stimulates a new story! Like you, the writer in me cannot ignore inspiration. You are right by the way, the noise would have just added to your description. A writer's eyes are not dulled by sound nor are they dulled by the lack thereof; we create our own with our words.
    Thank you for having such a great blog. It is a pleasure to add you to my Follow list.

    http://princesscourtneysbarr.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  23. I went to NYC once and I found it terribly overwhelming. I think the guy who peed right beside me on the street corner had something to do with it (I mean, he was RIGHT BESIDE me! There was splashback!).

    I went to college in a major city and I really enjoyed the hustle and bustle, the creativity that flowed constant, the people and the places and the excitement. But deep down, I'm a small-town girl...

    ReplyDelete
  24. You've invigorated this city boy's heart.

    Reading about the city through your eyes is such a gift!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Hi, Indigo! You write the most beautiful travel notes. I haven't been to NYC yet, but I read so much about it (and seen a lot of movies set in NYC too). This is the first time though that I've read a unique perspective on this supposed "greatest city in the world."

    ReplyDelete
  26. OMG, I jsut saw that message you sent me about this new blog, I have no idea when you sent it, but I'm thrilled to be here! I'll definitely stayed posted. :)

    YAY, I found you again!

    ReplyDelete
  27. NYC is a great city. I never thought about experiencing all that chaos with the sound turned off. What an interesting thing for me to consider and even better to read your description of it!

    I'm so glad you are continuing on your writing journey. I am hopping and stumbling on mine, but still on the road. Reading your adventures is a joy for me.

    ReplyDelete
  28. New York City -- I lived in Manhattan for four months while I was going to cooking school and was always so amazed by the amount of visual information each block packed it. I am trying to imagine it in silence -- I think it would only intensify the vibrancy.

    ReplyDelete
  29. What a beautiful picture you paint. I've never imagined how a bustling city would feel in silence.

    Glad the writing is still going well, even if it's less frenzied.

    ReplyDelete
  30. you're a great writer. i LOVE manhattan.

    it's a sea of humanity that allows us to find our natural bouyancy. i always felt that my time their helped give me texture.

    writers block? i always look at it like pottery in a kiln. it's in there. sometimes you just gotta wait til it's ready.

    great post, and thank you for stopping by my neck of the world.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Indigo, you're talking to a New Yorker here, Vagabond Shoes and all. New York is "the city that never sleeps." It's also the city that never shuts up. It is poetry in every language and music in every key, all at once.
    The Greek restaurant is next to the Chinese laudry which is next to the Jewish book store and on the second floor is a Russian woman's dance studio and an Italian tailor who makes men's suit from scratch.

    Aloud or silent NY is always describing itself. During the time you were there you were part of it People come from out of town to visit and go away with a few impressions of the city and think they can describe it without realizing that they were describing it with themselves while they were there.

    I like my bucolic Pennsyovania life OK, but I do miss NY. Who doesn't that really knows it. The history of more than half my life is written on those sidewalks. You and I made New York what it is.

    Some day, if it's possible, it might be interesting to take the train up and meet you there.

    DB

    ReplyDelete
  32. Is is an amazing place, isn't it? So vital!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for giving my silence a voice, my muse your words, and taking the time to discover my prose.