Monday, March 22, 2010

Rain Dancing

“We grow great by dreams. All big men are dreamers. They see things in the soft haze of a spring day or in the red fire of a long winter's evening.” – Woodrow Wilson

Photobucket

I breathed a sigh of relief looking out the window specked with wet droplets, wishing I could hear the rain gently fall - pooling into puddles and flowing into rivulets which turn to meandering small tributaries ants wouldn’t dare forge. Placing my fingers on the clear reflective surface and tracing runaway multi-facets of clear streams, I smile as the cool dampness invades my fingertips.

Relief floods through me in weary contentment. The hazy day outside my window promises a well needed reprieve. I want – need to lose myself in the comfort of my couch, an Indian blanket strewn across my knees and my laptop waiting, ever waiting for days such as this for the dance to begin.

Spring’s arrival kissed my cheeks with warmth and mischievously tousled my hair in blithe merriment in recent weeks - playing havoc with the nature lover in me. How could I not want to lose myself in the fresh scent of dirt and gentle breezes invading through windows at half mast? Grass never a greener, green – emerald, jade and shades of olive let loose from imprisoned snow.

Old Maid woodchuck came out from under the shed to take a bow, her winter fur with it’s tuffs of beige shimmering in the sunlight. A visit to the creek gave way to the blue jay’s soaring flight at eye level across my path. Let’s not forget the bright red backyard bird to the north – the Cardinal or the beautiful Oriole. They’ve all properly graced us with their company these early spring days.

And yet…I smile looking out my window fogged with each exhale. Yes, spring has let the sun kiss my lips and the new growth of lawn tickle my senses. “Almost”, I whisper, not yet, I’m not quite ready yet to leave this space I inhabit to write. It’s comfort enough to know ere long I’ll have my hands buried in dark brown soil and dirt ground beneath my fingernails as I plant and knead the earth.

I’ll take what comes, no rush, no candor just wanton days of ‘what if’s’. As I let my fingers loose across the keyboard, my heart flutters and the words begin to fly free to grace the page. It’s the perfect day, my kind of day, to let my fingers do a little…rain dancing…



Picture found here

32 comments:

  1. "I’ll take what comes, no rush..."

    I'm still hoping some day I learn that. Very nice post. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for this beautiful piece of writing, Indigo. When I read your words, 'wishing I could hear the rain gently fall' it makes me realise how much I take my hearing for granted.

    It is hard to imagine the sort of silence with which you live, though I imagine the absence of sound gives you an additional sensitivity through your others senses, as evident in your writing - your sense of touch, sight and taste.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that feeling right before my fingers hit the keys. There is a scene in the movie "You've Got Mail" where Tom Hanks twitters his fingers together in anticipation of striking the first key. I do this...can't help myself!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I so love seeing the world through your eyes Indigo. I am always there in the moment with you as I read.
    We have rain here in England too and I have been hunkered down indoors in front of my computer looking out onto the garden, spring fowers and woodlands.
    Parallel lives... almost.

    Jeanie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Rain dancing - I love it. :)

    You have such a lovely way of expressing yourself, Indigo!

    Spring brings such joy and opportunity - can't wait.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I had the chance to go for a run today, outside in the freshness of the day, instead of on a machine in the garage. It was wonderful. My need to get into the yard and to work on the garden is budding :o)

    ReplyDelete
  7. A well written post, as always.

    Like the first person to comment, I too wish to learn the wisdom in your last paragraph and to implement it into my life.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love a rainy day when I can just sit back, relax & enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  9. And such sweet and evocative dancing you do Indigo.

    DB

    ReplyDelete
  10. so when did you say your book is coming out? your writing is sooooo wonderful that at this moment I wish I had your book in hand. another GREAT entry! nothing like experiencing your world through here...hugz!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I really enjoyed this, was with ya all the way. Yes let me emerge from my cave gradually after a long,cold snowy, winter.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love that Spring brings life...and brings ideas to life too!

    ReplyDelete
  13. You are such a wonderful writer - I feel fortunate to have come to know you.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I adore how you described typing as rain dancing, very clever and it conjures up a fantastic image.
    I like the spring too, but it has been teasing us. Though I don't mind taking it slowly either. I'm in no rush for anything.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love the visuals that come to mind when you describe Spring. You have such a knack for bringing to life the details I often take for granted.

    ReplyDelete
  16. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love your writing so much. Every post is unique but so consistent in its poetry and truth. Beautiful.

    I am sad at the thought that Southern California has had all the rain it's going to get this spring. I love the sunshine, I do, and it's getting warmer out, which is lovely...but I do miss the rain. Oh so much.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I long for "wanton days" such as you've described. I am reluctant to leave the space you've imagined for me.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I am just amazed at such beautiful intricate "interwoven" poetry of words! You are a very blessed free spirit with your writing. I am so glad I dropped by so I could read this beautiful post.

    In regards to your loss of hearing it has made me think of a song eons ago from Melanie "Safka". In one lyric line she sings "I feel to know".

    You made my evening...thank you.

    Blessings,

    Rhiannon

    ReplyDelete
  20. Lovely post Indigo,
    I think everyone is ready to get to their planting. I know I am.
    Hugs, Sheri

    ReplyDelete
  21. This was a beautiful post for me to read, no hurry, not with the rain nor the sun, it all just is there for us, to learn from and to share our joy with, Indigo you always remind me of love and of sharing...much love to you today.
    Gabi

    ReplyDelete
  22. I like those kind of days--no rushing, just being.

    ReplyDelete
  23. My favorite time to write is through rain & good music. I can SO relate to this, my friend. Big hugs to you!
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  24. I had minor surgery yesterday and was able to sit outside in the warm spring sunshine...ah glory

    ReplyDelete
  25. I love your words and the way they make your fingers dance !

    ReplyDelete
  26. Just sending love to you, Indigo. You are a beautiful writer and a beautiful soul.

    Hug Pickles for me. Happy Spring!

    SB

    ReplyDelete
  27. I know exactly the kind of feeling you're describing. I always thought of it as a precursor to Spring Fever!
    Best,
    Marty

    ReplyDelete
  28. May your graceful fingers always dance, rain or shine.
    What a beautiful entry.
    xxx
    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  29. I loved your rain-dancing fingers. Such a wonderful entry so full of imagery that it left me breathless. I would have loved to have seen that red coloured Cardinal. These birds are so very beautiful, and we do not have them over here in Northern Vancouver. :::sigh:::

    ReplyDelete
  30. Oh how I miss reading your blog! Thank you for stopping by mine..........I always keep you in my prayers my dear friend.

    Your words make me think very deep.

    Miss you! Hugs, Rose

    ReplyDelete
  31. I always get lost in your words...you have a way of painting with letters. Hope all is well...it's been awhile. Karen

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for giving my silence a voice, my muse your words, and taking the time to discover my prose.