Friday, April 23, 2010

Writers Anonymous

Photobucket

A woman nervously enters the dank basement, walking quietly over to the chairs in the middle of the room. She clumsily bangs into a metal chair, wincing as it scrapes along the concrete floor like nails on a chalkboard and quickly takes a seat. Her palms are sweaty, her mouth dry, and she’s not exactly sure why she’s here.

My name is Indigo. I’m a writer.

My writing has gotten out of hand to the point I can no longer watch television or a movie with someone else, due to occasional bouts of spouting out the plot and sequence of events and giving away the storyline.

It’s been so long since I read a book like a normal functioning human being, without poring over newfound words and dissecting what I’m reading to see if I can find the author’s voice. I’m often left dumbfounded asking why I didn’t think of that and hell bent on learning trade secrets.

I have more friends and enemies running around in my head than I do in real life.

I lose huge chunks of time; only to discover pages of typewritten words I don’t remember typing.

Friends and family should be warned they may or may not end up being a character in something I’ve written. Fair warning I could be writing about any of you right now. I’ve comprised a whole horror book on my neighbors alone (then again I’m sure that’s rationally normal).

I miss conversations and stare rudely at people I don’t know, filing away details for future characters in my head.

It’s been days since I stepped outside my house, or wore anything besides pajamas. Sometimes I forget to shower. I simply run out of time, sucked into the latest WIP (work in progress). Of which I seem to have several spewing forth at one time. I can’t seem to be satisfied with one storyline. I’m greedy that way.

Several times in any given day I come *pinches finger’s together* this close to tossing my laptop out the window.

I tend to scare people around me with sudden bursts of, “Aha”, and “I Got it”, at the top of my lungs or sputtering on and on about characters no-one knows. It’s all I talk about…I don’t understand why it should be so confusing.

My house has dust bunnies that scurry out from hiding with a hint of a breeze. They’re bigger than my foot. I’ve learned to expertly stack the dishes beside the sink into mini mountains. Loved ones often offer up food in the form of buckets of chicken or Chinese take-out. I forget to cook sometimes. Laundry? - That’s depends on smell-a-vision.

Right now I’m imagining Woody the woodchuck, digging holes in the snobby neighbors lawn (He lives beneath my shed – the woodchuck not the neighbor), and dandelions are yellow paint spatters from nature’s brush, and I’m a twenty something that wears Ed Hardy High-tops (The last is true, except the age thing – no that doesn’t have anything to do with being a writer. I’m just thrilled to have gotten them for a mere $20, compared to the usual $73). Sue me I don’t act my age.

I’m prone to bouts of illusions that make life seem…other than.

You know what? I don’t necessarily see a problem here. Sure I can’t comment on blogs as much and rarely visit reality. But I wouldn’t change a thing. I doubt any writer would, maybe that’s why I’m the lone one in – “Writers Anonymous”.



Original picture found here

49 comments:

  1. I could just sink into your words and take a comfy nap. It is a very easy thing to become absorbed in your writing. I absolutely love it. Do you have any novels??

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know what you mean. I find it difficult concentrating on TV or movies because I'm completely obsessed with my writing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You aren't the only one... I don't think you are alone in filing away every observation for possible use or picking up on plot twists in books and programs.

    I think that is the price for being talented with words... you instantly make observations and convert them to words.

    You can not help yourself not to be that way no more than a drunk could not take a drink as long as he has conscious.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It actually sounds wonderful to me and very inviting. I would love to lose myself in other worlds ~ worlds I've created. You've given insight as to why the most creative folks are usually considered eccentric.

    I don't act my age either ;)
    xxx
    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  5. I understand completely! It pulls...the writing. Oh how it pulls.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds very familiar! Sigh. Oh well, at least we're in good company, right? :)

    Elizabeth
    Mystery Writing is Murder

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love this entry. Never act your age Indigo there is no fun in it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I do understand you.
    Im not as into serious writing as I wish I was.

    Maybe when time passes by...

    For us, the writters, there will always be a new character hanging around our heads, an old one walking through our thoughts and free words anxious to climb upon our hands.

    ReplyDelete
  9. How lucky you are that you've found your passion. Most people never do!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi. My name is Lou. I'm a writer. I wish I could write as well as do you, but I'm satisfied with what I do. Usually. Well, sometimes, actually. It's taken a long time to call myself a writer. I hope I never get over it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yay - I'm not the only one with ginormous dust bunnies!

    Writing does make us 'other'. We see things differently. My family thinks I'm a little batty - but they still love me :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I would love to read your book about the neighbours - I'm sure there are some similarities with mine. At least the Dust Bunnies are harmless!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I find myself dissecting movies, tv dramas and books in exactly the way you describe.

    The world is full of elements that can be combined to build a story.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Beautiful. I'm happy I found this blog today.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Good morning Indigo, I'm sure no one minds when you have an ah-ha moment. This seems an innocent way to lose yourself.
    I would have gotten the Ed Hardys too...And I'm thirty something..lol..
    Hugs, Sheri

    ReplyDelete
  16. do they have a group for the mathematicians?


    xxalainaxx

    ReplyDelete
  17. writing the way you do? i say, go for it!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hello, my name is Janna. Yes, me too. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Sounds like some wonderful passion, but if you are to run the marathon, you must stop sprinting. Hope you can find some balance, and then maybe you will find even more inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  20. You're a very good writer... So it's good that you love to write. And I'm glad that we get to read it. = )

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hi, my name is Julie and I have a writing addiction. You are certainly not alone my friend. I looked at my day planner this morning and it said, "Disappear into fiction." Woohoo! A great day!

    And you know, dust bunnies might one day be an endangered species, so there you go. Save the world, grow a dust bunny. :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Now that you've "come out," you probably will get kicked out of Writers Anonymous.

    I totally sympathize with you. Writing can take over you mind and time.

    Helen
    Straight From Hel

    ReplyDelete
  23. I will join writers anonymous as well. Everything you just described is exactly how I am as well.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Well said. I think it would be interesting if your snobby neighbor lived under your shed ... I assume he's much more interesting than a woodchuck. But, then, again, I've never met your snobby neighbor ...
    Best,
    Marty

    ReplyDelete
  25. I can't help but feel a sense of familiarity when reading this. Captivating. I love your writing style

    Regards
    Val

    ReplyDelete
  26. LOL...this entry gave me a good chuckle this morn. reminds me of me sometimes. ain't life grand with all it's adventures of sorts, in the head or otherwise. thanks my friend for giving me a good start to my day!!!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Have you watched "The Shining" lately? LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  28. I would love to see a movie made of you and Louisie over at Letting Go. I am captivated by the literary pictures you paint with your words and would love to write more but I'm still hung up on smell-a-vision...

    ;)

    Have a great day, Indy..

    ReplyDelete
  29. Are you holding a meeting? because I need to join. Hello, my name is Kasie, I'm a writer. :) Love your words, once again. They spoke to me.

    ReplyDelete
  30. This is pretty much how I am too. The creative need crowds out everything else. That's good and bad. Well put, Indigo. xxoo

    ReplyDelete
  31. LOL I don't think you're alone, Indigo. Many of us fill our heads with characters and story arcs and run dialogue in the shower (that's the best time to run dialogue!). We are the dreamers and artists and we band together when we find one another.

    Love and hugs to you.

    ReplyDelete
  32. where you are...i want to be there too.
    i can't wait to see the spoils.

    ReplyDelete
  33. i can completely understand. as much as i love my new space, and my new blog, i still miss that dark part of me that needs to come out sometimes. she yearns for it.

    ReplyDelete
  34. Wow, boy can I relate, I have so many stories in my head about my dogs, the squirrels outside, my work partners, neighbors and many others...but this post in such and eloquent and amazingly lovely way...summed it up...

    Oh, and I understand dust rhinos...not bunnies...LOL

    Much love

    ReplyDelete
  35. I envy you this being lost in your writing. My muse must be on vacation lately or I'm letting the life get sucked out of her by work and drudgery. Keep writing lovely one.

    ReplyDelete
  36. Indigo,
    I wouldn't worry about it. I'd give in to the muse, hook, line and sinker. And to heck with everybody and everything else that isn't strictly required for survival.
    Well done, and keep going.

    ReplyDelete
  37. I don't see a problem either. Imagined worlds are so much more interesting than real ones...most of the time.

    ReplyDelete
  38. Oh yes, I understand this completely.

    Happy writing.

    ReplyDelete
  39. wow you had me nervous there for a few minutes with your snobbish neighbor and Woody the woodchuck... lol... even though the phrase is used in performances, when it comes to your writing, "the show must go on"

    Mik

    ReplyDelete
  40. That is such a wonderfully written post. I so get it. I so am it. Although not all at once. But I have been known to take out a pencil right in the middle of a conversation and take some notes. Doesn't always go over so well. But your obsession. It's delicious. It's a level I so want to be at. In fact, I so want to go write right now!

    ReplyDelete
  41. You have a wonderful gift.

    ReplyDelete
  42. oh i love it.
    yeah. addicted to words, writing, it's good. it's good.
    you should be a writer, if it comes to you like that.

    ReplyDelete
  43. I'm so with you on everything you said. Every single thing.

    ReplyDelete
  44. I have rarely been so filled up with my work that I had several pieces going on at once, I seem to limit my works and pieces to just one at a time...otherwise I can come undone so easily... I have no idea how you do it.

    The dust bunnies, and jammies on dark days are something i can relate to however, maybe i should get out of bed on those days and pour my heart out to the page...

    I just may try that.

    ReplyDelete
  45. I am loving this. I see you dropping out of W. A. :)

    ReplyDelete
  46. As always, reading your words has left me speechless!
    Maybe, one day when I'm all grown up, I too can call myself a writer... for now, I'll just belong to "reading blogs anonymous".

    ReplyDelete
  47. Nice Indigo. I am sure this obsession is a good one that will produce something magical.

    ReplyDelete
  48. Ha ha I just posted a similar list of things I do as a writer, but you wrote it so much more beautifully!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for giving my silence a voice, my muse your words, and taking the time to discover my prose.