Sunday, June 6, 2010

Writing Adjacent Life

“Writing is a form of personal freedom. It frees us from the mass identity we see in the making all around us. In the end, writers will write not to be outlaw heroes of some under culture but mainly to save themselves, to survive as individuals.”
- Don Delillo

Photobucket

She had a mind of her own and I let her lead me – the anchor slowing down her progress, tethered by a leash. Nose to the ground, she wove back and forth, a half second pause - long enough to glance back over her shoulder. Her eyes challenging me to follow as she dipped her head parting the foliage and disappeared down a hidden deer path. I hesitate; I could barely make out the curve of her black tail with the white tip a few feet in front of me. The leash went whip sharp tense and held, coaxing me to follow.

I dipped down, an outstretched hand in front of me, and glimpse a miniature tunnel made by flowering towers of Dame’s Rocket bent in an arch by the eroding switch cane bamboo. I took a tentative step forward and a soft laugh escapes. Encouraged by the sound, Pickles’ head reappears. Her mischievous grin seemed to say, what did I tell you? I barely have time to breathe in the delicate scent of flowers along her dog made tunnel, before I felt the pull of her leash beckoning. Petals tickle my face and thorny tendrils nick my arms. Alice in Wonderland falling down the rabbit hole came to mind.

We’ve traveled this way to the creek before. This is a first for the Dames to have grown so tall in the bamboo forest. Pickles nudges my hand impatiently, she smells the water and knows the creek isn’t far. We plunge our way through cane 3ft or more above our heads, with little visibility, our only guide the trampled foot path of deer before us, until at last we made it to the creek’s edge. I found Paradise on a hot May afternoon, skipping from one stone to the next trying to keep my footing, splashed by a wet dog chasing twigs twisting and tumbling down the stream; as we followed another tunnel of sorts carved by time and water.

A momentary reprieve in an otherwise never-ending writing splurge and gift of sanity to keep me going; when, I accidentally deleted day’s worth of work. Heartsick and frustrated my sidekick ignored my pouting and ranting, curved a paw around my hand and glanced toward the door. She knew I’d get her meaning. Another outing, in the same general direction we took a few days previous, except we didn’t go down the tunnel of Dame’s Rocket. Pickles wanted to explore a different path, another adventure.

Taking a lesson from Pickles, that evening I sat down and started over, exploring diverse words and taking my book in a new direction. In the back of my mind I held the wonder of the flowering tunnel and realized - life is in the writing. Some words, just like days can’t be salvaged, but the idea and heart of what is written still exist; still lives, waiting for the right tandem and flow to carry them from head to finger tip. And such is life - sometimes we’re not meant to grasp where the story leads us, or given answers to what the day brings. Dare to discover, dare to trust in the simple things.

Today, I’m still filling pages, writing chapters and duplicating life in words. It’s a high I’m not ready to come down from just yet. Unfortunately (or not), my absence will be for a few more weeks yet. It’s all good. I’m simply giving in to my muse (and busy rewarding the sidekick – wonder dog extraordinaire).




Picture from here...

31 comments:

  1. So beautiful! Keep giving in to that muse!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Time is an illusion really. you've only seem to have been a moment away..it'll be only another moment and you'll be back again. happy you're enjoying yourself in your adventures...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Indigo! You have just allowed me to continue writing whatever comes forth (Muse?), as long as it is enjoyable.

    Well, it is more, it is becoming intoxicating, especially when I release myself from tendencies to obsess and begin to feel that pressure, you know?

    You write so well, and express so well those thoughts with which many can identify. Thank you again...and again!

    ReplyDelete
  4. if you get a chance, could you tell your muse to kick mine in the ass? much appreciated, my friend.
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just beautiful! Enjoy your high

    ReplyDelete
  6. Always nice to see a post from you Indigo..
    Wish I could have a "Pickles" to go exploring with:)
    Renting doesn't allow for that. But I will be pet sitting one of the most fabulous dogs next week..So looking forward to having Shilo to keep me company..
    Hugs, Sheri

    ReplyDelete
  7. as always indigo,you flow.your writng is effortless.bet it aint really lol,but it always seems to be.and that is the secret of a good writer,take care my friend,love mort xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dupicating life in writing. What a lovely way to put it. And I took the walk with you...needed it as well. Thank you dear lady!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is lovely. The writing high is such a wonderful place to be in. Keep it going! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. You are so inspiring to me Indigo.
    A truly no shit girl/writer you are.
    Thanks for sharing.
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  11. that quote is very very true! and your words are a lovely escape...

    ReplyDelete
  12. The writing itself is the goal -- not the written words. I am trying to learn that and accept that always.

    ReplyDelete
  13. "Life is in the writing."

    So true Indigo. I have traveled on those non-man made trails and seen adventures no human has found before.

    I weep with joy when the language comes effortlessly from mind to fingers. It is my adventure.

    DB

    ReplyDelete
  14. well stated Indigo... and with a side order of Pickles! Doesn't get much better than that.

    Mik

    ReplyDelete
  15. i miss you but i am so glad that you're listening to your muse! <3 xo

    ReplyDelete
  16. This post was soothing and peaceful, and now I'm in the mood to write.

    ReplyDelete
  17. That was very nice. It brought me back to a time when I lived deep in the forest and I took a short cut through a mess of brambles that poked and nicked and cut me. By the time I decided to turn back I had vested too much time in going forward I continued on. An hour later I popped out on the other side bleeding and sweating and I vowed never to go back that way.
    I didn't care for the experience, but I loved the woods where I was living at. Every day was an adventure.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi, this is Jillian from Random Ramblings. I am trying to contact all the blog's followers.. if you could please read my latest post about the blog's technical problems, I'd greatly appreciate it. You can read the post right here. Thank you so very much!

    ReplyDelete
  19. The things we learn from our best friends... I love this story. You and Pickles have such a blessed friendship and I'm glad you let her take the lead every once in a while. :) Otherwise how would you ever discover new worlds and new words?

    ReplyDelete
  20. i remember losing stuff like that when i was working on my master's. usually what you redo after the loss ends up being 110% better then the original.

    i felt like i was walking in the bamboo with you and pickles-

    xxalainaxx

    ReplyDelete
  21. Beautiful, Indigo. Have fun exploring.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Indigo, if you are reading this, I wish you to know we are praying for your Muse to tell you things which will--in the pages of a book--send your messages of desperation, hopeful glimmers, faith, and finally --through dedicated and persistent work--VICTORY!

    God bless YOU!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Enjoyed your writing a lot. Thank you so much for sharing your life with us. Pickles is a very lucky dog!

    ReplyDelete
  24. We could all take a lesson from Pickles. ~Mary

    ReplyDelete
  25. I agree with Mary :)

    Haven't been by....been busy with life and school, but felt like I needed to check in with you and see what you were up to!!! And enjoying life it is, and I am happy for you!

    ReplyDelete
  26. A magical post, Indigo. Thank you for taking us through the tunnel with you and Pickles (who sounds like a marvelous dog and companion). I needed this glimpse into your world tonight!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for giving my silence a voice, my muse your words, and taking the time to discover my prose.