Sunday, July 25, 2010

Free Falling...

“Creativity requires the courage to let go of certainties.” – Erich Fromm

Photobucket

Exasperated I vigorously rub my forehead in consternation. Not again. Four visits from the cable company concerning my network connection, four different men – each performing some difficult task and assuring me this time it would work. Only to find once again I’m floating in nether space with no connection what-so-ever to the web. Pickles head perks up beneath my office chair and without warning she darts off after one of the cats.

My youngest cat, Feather, thought the cord to my USB key would make a wondrous new toy. Her thievery exposed by the click - click bounce of my USB toggle against wooden floor boards. Cord in mouth she runs pall mell toward the stairs with a dog in chase. It finally registers; my book is attached at the end of her new play toy. My work in progress is at the mercy of these two, who think a game is afoot when I join the chase. Within moments I’m back in front of my computer, the dog with a self satisfied smile getting a pat on the head. She knows she did well, in alerting me to something I couldn’t hear.

Lo and behold the connection is back. I’m online, a gift of time for however long the wireless gods deem me worthy.

My tenuous hold on this sporadic connection leaves me hesitant and wary of forging ahead on my writing for the day. I remember another moment, another day when my fingers poised over the keyboard, unsure – frightened in some small way of the direction my life would take. A year ago - truly? A year spent writing, creating, and plotting? A year in which I proclaimed myself a writer and set it down in stone on a blog for all to see and hold me accountable for…

Three books later, hours spent letting my fingers pour my minds musings out on the screen in front of me, and I swear it most certainly doesn’t feel like a year.

The question then begs of me, what would you tell your writer self of a year ago today?

I would tell her:

Go ahead and let your fingers sing across the keyboard. Stay curious and learn. Even if you don’t follow all the rules of your chosen profession, what you do learn and take to heart will be priceless.

You will have days of wanting to toss your laptop out the window, days of agonistic misery where you ponder why in the world you choose to do something that offers no instant gratification. Writing will test the very fiber of your patience.

You will also have days the words flow unbidden and you’ve lost hours at the drop of a hat. Lost minutes stolen by endless lines of prose and dialogue you won’t have with anyone even remotely human.

There will be moments you feel so utterly alone, followed by moments of clarity that you are never truly alone when faced with a head full of colorful characters taking up residence.

Most important –I now know no matter what unfolds from here on out, I can’t/you won’t imagine life any other way. From yesteryear to today, each day brings improvements, hopes, and the fulfillment of a dream. So go ahead let your fingers loose, let the words flow, for no other reason than you can’t imagine not. Jump off the ledge of your misgivings and learn to fly.

So with my faithful sidekick Pickles, a faulty internet connection, and a head full of characters – I bid Happy Anniversary to the first year of Shattered Prose. For better or worse this journey continues…



Picture from here

27 comments:

  1. Congrats on the year Indigo! Awesome :)

    I would tell my year-ago-self to be gutsy - I can be kind of a wimp at times :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know what I would tell my year ago self... that would change what I am telling my now-self, wouldn't it?

    Love the quote and I am glad you have kept with your blogging. Congrats on your book and being a writer!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Loved the picture... can't help but look for Tom Petty, though!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations! Your writing never ceases to amaze me....keep at it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy first anniversary. I have come by from Suzy Hayze's blog. Lovely to find another writerly soul :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy anniversary to you and Shattered Prose. There's been lovely prose from here and I've enjoyed what you've shared.

    May Feather bless and not stress you. Good job, Pickles! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy anniversary and be Happy

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congrats on your first anniversary, Indigo.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Awesome milestone realizations! Keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete
  10. It's been a year already? goodness, time flies..and well at that. congrats for the year here. I have no doubt your creativity is endless, in time, in words, in characters and in life. you are better for it..keep up the great work!!..hugz!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Congrats on one year! I would tell my year-ago self simply to have faith. I think I did tell myself that then, when it felt like I was doing more struggling than anything else! LOL But things have worked out as I'd hoped, and I'm glad I kept at it.

    Donna

    ReplyDelete
  12. these are the thoughts of a fulfilling and fruitful year!

    ReplyDelete
  13. "Don't judge it. Just write it".

    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Let your fingers fly - because I love where they take me.

    ReplyDelete
  15. A year ago I would have told myself...
    You cannot judge your work by it's level of acceptance.
    Writing is a lonely, dangerous affair that you have with yourself.

    You are brilliant, Indigo.

    Peace ~ Rene

    ReplyDelete
  16. It is a game of wits & passion. Write on. ~Mary

    ReplyDelete
  17. A joyous journey to be a part of.

    Keep it up - CONGRATS!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Happy Birthday Shattered Prose blog! That reminds me the QLC's birthday is coming up soon...

    I would tell my year ago self to take advantage of the times I really felt inspired and to write it all out and save it for the times I'm less than inspired.

    I would tell my year ago self that it's okay to take a break if the thought of writing makes you want to vomit...writing in that state of mind makes your writing suck anyway.

    I would tell my year ago self to just start writing the damn book already rather than waiting until October...because then it would probably be done by now!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Happy Blog Anniversary! And bravo for all your creativity, tenacity, and wild abandon. Here's to many years to come!

    ((hugs)) Nicole

    ReplyDelete
  20. Nice post! Lovely words. Congrats! :D

    ReplyDelete
  21. Three books - I'm in awe!

    Certainly wise words, Indigo, as always.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I am so proud of you my friend! SO SO PROUD! :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Congratulations on your year!

    Have a great year ahead!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Happy one year Indigo!
    The version of who I was a year ago needs to be told many things, but most importantly stop procrastinating! One day in the future, you will be writing a very important paper the night before it was due because you waited too long till the last minute. It will get a B when it really should have been an A. And it will be exhausting. Not worth putting off at all.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Happy Anniversary, Indigo! Many, many, more.

    Love to you and Pickles,

    SB

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for giving my silence a voice, my muse your words, and taking the time to discover my prose.