Thursday, December 2, 2010

It Came Without...

"And the Grinch, with his Grinch-feet ice cold in the snow, stood puzzling and puzzling, how could it be so? It came without ribbons. It came without tags. It came without packages, boxes or bags. And he puzzled and puzzled 'till his puzzler was sore. Then the Grinch thought of something he hadn't before. What if Christmas, he thought, doesn't come from a store? What if Christmas, perhaps, means a little bit more?" - Theodor Seuss Geisel

Photobucket

Sometimes our bodies boycott any notion of doing much else and wind down for a much needed rest; followed by coughs and sniffles which serve as warnings like a beacon signal in the night -an impending cold or virus is on the prowl. In any case a person isn’t much likely to do anything else but give up the ghost of wellness until the foreign entity has taken its due.

Nose sore, eyes bleary with nothing to do outside of sleep, I stare remorsefully out the window watching the rain batten against the roof and windows. The dour and bleak sky mirrors my own mood, a virtual pity party taking place on both sides of the window pane. At that very moment, it came…a slow thickening of condensation, a wind blown chill, and a bit of white. I blinked unsure, wondering if my eyes betrayed me - a hallucination brought on by phlegm clogged senses. How can this be? Not now...not when I’m bedded down sick?

Snow zigzagged down from a charcoal skyline. The wind howled and the flakes grew thick and fell more furious. Sour, lip curled up in a snarl, I pitied me more for being sick. Everything in view wore a cloak of iridescent frost and glimmered, taunting me, as I sat perched childlike in front of the window.

Snow doused memories tug at my heart: A child pouting on Christmas day, not for what wasn’t beneath the tree but for the missing flurries and cold weather she once knew. The young woman spellbound by a winter storm with childish glee. The grown woman who shrieks in laughter in flannel pajamas and slippers kicking up snow and chasing a dog in the indigo moonlight, to a shared kiss in the middle of a busy sidewalk with her face upturned and snowflakes catching in her eyelashes. Giggles rent the air as she breathlessly pursues her husband around their car, snowball in hand, slip-sliding around until she lands face first in a snow bank. So many more…they unfold, these gifts of spirit handed out like seasons of a life.

The snow melted that day. I however, found a sense of ambience despite my sick predicament. Yes, there will be days we scoff and renege on our good sense of compassion and kindness. Days lost to regrettable forlorn. May we have more days of child wonder and laughter than not.

In light of the spirit of the season, I want to take this moment to thank all my loyal friends and readers. You’ve stood by me steadfast and loving despite my continued lackadaisical approach to posting. My muse has definitely been on holiday - on and off the page. Hopefully she’ll return full vigor in the coming weeks. Enjoy the new layout in the meantime - tis’ a kindness for your eyes and mine.

Photobucket


Large picture from here

26 comments:

  1. Windows to the snow
    windows to the past
    its not the snow and not the past reborn, but it's something.
    anything.
    Like your new lay out
    ~rick

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought of you today. I was reflecting on what I would post in my own journal and I have several ideas that would undoubtedly spool out for pages and pages. So it struck me that maybe that is what happens when you are a writer, your imagination takes and fabricates layers of words like the layers of bedding you are prolly under as I write this, heaping line after line until you can't think of anymore to write. I told myself that Indy prolly is writing her next story and is too busy with that to post, and here you are!

    Glad to see you still think about your journal and I am with you about the first nice snowfall. It fell the other night here in the big O, and waking up in the pre-dawn and looking at the park across from my building, I thought of how beautiful that winter can be (though it mostly sucks balls!!)

    Take care and get well soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We had our first snowfall last week, and I am still sore from shoveling the driveway. I still get giddy when the season's first flakes arrive, too. Hope you're feeling better, soon. (((HUGS)))

    ReplyDelete
  4. Find your Muse - she's in the smoke.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Maybe our muses are like old cars that need a little extra time warming up this time of year.
    xx
    Russ

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like the new layout..
    We're to get our first real snowfall this week-end..and as much as I don't like the snow or driving in it, I LOVE the first snow fall of the season.
    I plan on spending the day making cookies and listening to Christmas music:)
    Hug, Sheri

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is LOVELY!!!!!! You've certainly got a lot of talent! :D

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm sorry you're sick. You saw snow...right outside your window! Though it taunted, it did visit. Where I live there is never such a guest.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sorry you're not feeling well. Enjoy the snow scene from your window. Its sunny and short sleeve weather here today but they say its coming. Not snow of course but cooler weather.

    ReplyDelete
  10. For a moment there, I was standing in the snow!

    You are a beautiful writer. Truly you are.

    Hope you're feeling better :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. So sorry you're not feeling up to par! I hope it doesn't last and that you get to enjoy some snow soon! I'll think of you when I'm out playing ... and shoveling :) Take Care!

    ReplyDelete
  12. your new header is adorable. i love you friend, and am always behind you.
    xox

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sorry to hear you're under the weather! I hope you're on the mend. Take care of yourself, my friends. Hugs, Beth

    ReplyDelete
  14. I know you love the snow, enjoy the season :o)

    ReplyDelete
  15. How nice to hear that someone loves snow. I like looking at it ... but that's about it. I'll keep my fingers crossed that you get a nice, White Christmas!
    Best,
    Marty

    ReplyDelete
  16. Coming here is always a revelation. I love snow. Some of my deepest memories are of winter. When winter bites at my face, I know who I am.

    ReplyDelete
  17. This was a blessing of a post, Indigo. Beautifully written. I do like the new format (love the header photo for the holidays) and that little snow movie at the end of your post was like the bow on top of the package! xoxox Feel better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I hope that your muse returns soon, Indigo - is she really gone? I didn't notice her absence from your post.

    Guido

    ReplyDelete
  19. It's all a gift, isn't it? And to be granted that moment of pause to remember it all. I love these moments. Even when the memories sting a little. As long as we're safe near a window.

    hey, how come I follow and your posts NEVER show up in my reader? gonna unfollow and then follow again. maybe I can stay current, Indigo.

    thanks for hanging in with me.

    xo
    erin

    ReplyDelete
  20. You write the greatest posts! And I too love your layout!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I need more good snow memories. All I can think about is ice capades with the car and horrific traffic... ((hugs))

    ReplyDelete
  22. I may use the Theodor Seuss Geisel quote for a post on Christmas Day.

    And what a beautiful post from you. Thank you. Merry Christmas if I don't get another chance.

    ReplyDelete
  23. This was a great post for me today. It's snowing like crazy here in France and I'm ecstatic. I grew up in CT where it snows six months of the year so coming to France, I really missed that. I've been spoiled this season though. We've been getting at least one snow storm a week since mid november! IT really is magical stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I get lost everytime in your prose.
    Your muse is definitely back.
    Power to your pen, and happiness, are wished for you and yours over Christmas and the New Year.
    I hope you hsve recovered by now as I am late reading your entry. I am sitting up in bed with all the dreaded lurgy bugs you so aptly described. Drat! And....I have snow outside the window. lol

    Hugs to you.
    Love
    Jeanie xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  25. Goodness how did I miss this post...Love the new layout & header! indeed we need to still be childlike living out dreams and dreaming more. so much more to embark upon. hope you're feelin' better..a blanket of warm hugz!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for giving my silence a voice, my muse your words, and taking the time to discover my prose.