Thursday, February 10, 2011

Not About the Money

“There are four questions of value in life... What is sacred? Of what is the spirit made? What is worth living for, and what is worth dying for? The answer to each is the same. Only love.” – Don Juan de Marco

Photobucket

Valentine’s Day is simply a reminder of what we should celebrate 365 days of the year. Rumor claims February 14th as the lover’s holiday. A wonderful concept, but I tend to believe the day should be set aside to remember all those you love, those who need love, even strangers who could use a bit of kindness. If you can succeed in remembering more than one other person on Valentine’s Day, perhaps you’ll create a tradition to share the same glorious feeling daily and turn it into a 365 day long tribute.

Need some ideas that won’t cost a fortune?

1) Grab a stack of post-it notes and leave one here and there, with words like, “Smile, you’re loved!”, or “The world is a better place with you here.” I’m sure you can think of a few others.

2) Smile at a complete stranger, for no other reason than your alive.

3) Try slow dancing without the music, just the concept of moving slowly to each others rhythm and heartbeat? You’ll be surprised.

4) Cook a meal with someone, not for someone – with. Share the kitchen; turn on some music and salsa the food onto the plate. (Seeing as you need to eat anyway – enjoy the experience).

5) Read to each other. Nothing can compare to the soothing lilt of someone reading to you. Place your hand on their chest; the words vibrate through your very being.

6) Watch a movie without the sound and ad-lib the voices. Who said laughter isn’t good for the soul?

7) Remember those Valentine’s we passed out as kids? Try passing them out to perfect strangers, allow yourself to be a kid again and share a smile with someone. They have super-hero’s for the guys.

And I’m done - sorry. I’m not going to do all the work for you. Seven is the magic number, seven days in a week…

365 Days of the year and it doesn’t have to be about money, you only sacrifice a heart (and maybe time) – yours. I should warn you though, acts of love and kindness become habit forming.

Meanwhile enjoy a song from the movie ‘Rent’ – Seasons of Love.



Five hundred twenty five thousand
six hundred minutes
Five hundred twenty five thousand
moments so dear
Five hundred twenty five thousand
six hundred minutes
How do you measure, measure a year

In daylight, in sunsets, in midnights,
in cups of coffee, In inches, in miles
in laughter in strife,

In Five hundred twenty five thousand
six hundred minutes
How do you measure a year in the life

(chorus)
How about Love
how about love
how about love
measure in love
seasons of love
seasons of love

Five hundred twenty five thousand
six hundred minutes
Five hundred twenty five thousand
journeys to plan
Five hundred twenty five thousand
six hundred minutes
how do you measure the life of a woman
or a man

In truth that she learned
or in times that he cried
In the bridges he burned
or the way that she died

Its time now to sing out
though the story never ends
lets celebrate remember a year
in the life of friends

(chorus)



Picture from here

33 comments:

  1. Great reminder. Thanks.
    xx
    Russ

    ReplyDelete
  2. We could all do with a more open heart, Indigo. You're right on that one. I object to the company owning these holidays, these sentiments.

    But oh how I loved the lack of uniformity in Valentines when I was a kid. Have you seen them lately? Hollywood endorsed rectangles, heartless.

    xo
    erin

    ReplyDelete
  3. I found your blog through Paul C, and was captivated by your previous post (The Way it Reads). Great ideas for Valentine's Day. Looking forward to reading more.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Especially if you are filled with so much love that it spills out over the side... because the more you give the more you will receive in return..!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Time is truly the most valuable thing we can give to one another...It is something that you can never get back and it's a grand gesture of love.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have the same perspective about most holidays.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy Valentines Day Indigo!!
    Sheri

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow I have seen this performance whilst visiting relatives in Canada last year, we had the privilage of seeing this amazing performance at the rainbow theatre Portage la Praire.. I thought it wonderful.. sad in parts but privilaged to have been a part of the audience. I was was called Indigo... I am now 'Indi' welcome.


    Indi


    xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wonderful post, and thank you for the reminder!

    ReplyDelete
  10. LOVED THIS!!! loved #7, I actually have thought of doing this. indeed let V-Day be a day of Loving everyone. Thanks for the song. I needed it!..HAPPY VALENTINE'S DAY 2 U!!! Love you my friend...

    ReplyDelete
  11. These are nice thoughts and good ideas!

    In Japan (where I've lived for over a decade) Valentine's day is a very commercialized phenomena. All women are supposed to give the men around them (co-workers, fellow students, and so on) chocolate. Then exactly one month later, men are supposed to return the favor by giving cookies on "White day."

    I have no idea where this tradition comes from. But recently some women have been bucking the trend and only giving chocolate to fellow girl friends. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great ideas at a very good price, I must say. I always prefer the handmade to store bought versions, any day! Wishing you a wonderful, heartfelt Valentine's Day, Ingigo~*

    ReplyDelete
  13. That Rent song gets me each and every time!

    Terrific list of things to do - and I totally agree - we don't wait for a special day to make someone's day brighter! :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. A lovely post. I may steal that Post it Notes idea :)
    Hope each day is filled with Valentine's for you!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I loved this and so needed it today-- perhaps the most wonderful reminder, that song :)

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  16. Happy Valentine's Day!!
    love this song... :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. tony and i just had this conversation when the local news mentioned the cost to have a dozen roses, delivered, to be between 80-100 bucks- how does that equate to love? keep your roses! it's the day to day on the other 364 i care about.

    xxalainaxx

    ReplyDelete
  18. Great minds think alike Indigo! So glad to have found your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I have a pile of pink colored Post-Its at my work desk so I'll definitely be taking your suggestion on the Valentine's notes. Happy (almost) Valentine's Day to you Indigo!

    ReplyDelete
  20. The four questions of value in life are wonderful. Thank you for that shot of sweetness tonight. May your Valentine's day be filled with laughter and love.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Sending LOTS of love your way!

    Love that first quote

    ReplyDelete
  22. I didn't like Valentine's Day until I had kids. Then it became fun. Then I finally go tit. It's about showing love to everyone in my life. Something I need to do every day.

    ReplyDelete
  23. This post lit me up from the inside out. Thank you so much, Indigo, for making me smile so much.

    ReplyDelete
  24. What a great post. If only we would all try to culltivate more love for our fellows the world would be such a wonderful place to be...
    bless you
    love Sybil x

    ReplyDelete
  25. A wonderful way of turning the holiday around.

    ReplyDelete
  26. I like #7. I saw those little valetine's in the store and thought how exciting it was to receive them when I was so very young.

    Excellent message.
    xx
    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  27. I love your list of things we can do everyday, not just on Valentine's Day.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Dear Heart...what a great post...and yes all year long is LOVE!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Love is what life is about. Without it we aren't much.

    ReplyDelete
  30. I loved number 5 - I've never thought about reading a book to my wife. I have an old copy of Stewart Little - maybe that would be a fun book to read in the evening. Wonderful post.

    ReplyDelete
  31. I absolutely love this song!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for giving my silence a voice, my muse your words, and taking the time to discover my prose.