Saturday, April 9, 2011

In Between Seasons

“You will find that it is all very familiar…the strange and faraway places where you’ve never been. The wild unknown leads you to a place just around the corner. Take a picture when you get there…the road is you.” – J. Bebe, R. Hammond

Photobucket

My heart belongs to the open road. Always has…always will.

There is a hidden mystery beyond each curve and bend in the road. Nature defends against the ongoing tirade of human occupancy and cloaks her crevices in the foliage of decrepit urban decay. Asphalt fractures and leans precarious into coverts; tree limbs stretch skyward warmed by the sun’s prompt to tangle wires, downing lines; vines, roots, push and prod the loose gravel apart weeping for sunlight. These sacred sentinels are what draw me each and every time further into their womb, up the winding mountain back roads. I too wish to leave my humanity behind.

Today the road beckoned with open arms. Come see us, we’ve grow. Mother earth is awake, come see…

Clones of naked bark reached stick limbs skyward tickling the Persian sky until it burst into giggles of strata wisp. A familiar land mark slides into view - ‘The hand of God’, a tree trunk in a field sharpened by time and pointing toward the heavens. A few weather worn barns gave up the ghost losing the war with the elements. Grass the color of wheat balled and rolled across fields not yet warmed into spring’s recurring bottle green. A mare held her head high nostrils sniffing the air, tail waving a salute readying for the scourge of flies soon to come. Although heart warming one and all, I continued looking for another undiscovered bend or turn in the road.

A left hand turn into another right and the familiar began to fall away as winding twist in the roads rose higher and higher up the mountain. A smile teased across my face at the sight of snow sulking in the shadows beneath pine boughs. The vista opened up to reveal the next slope on the rollercoaster highway and a lake spread out in the valley below. Ice bathed all but her shore, slowly slinking back on itself and giving way to winters mourning. This was a haven I’d not traveled before. Every fiber of my being grinned with anticipation as the tires ate the asphalt and moved with the contours of the land around me.

A spontaneous day, urged on impulse bared the soul of the open road between seasons. I couldn’t help but feel as if I’d been let in on a secret kept hidden from prying eyes. There is an incredible intensity in the in-between, a not quite ready, almost, and I am here sense of understanding – which is ethereal in its beauty.

Life has been my greatest teacher.

As a writer, I trace life lessons across the pages of a book. In those ‘I’m not quite done moments’, there is still concrete substance to my words with room to grow. Everything sits in between seasons before blooming to full potential. We begin; we grow, flourish, and complete the cycle. - Indigo

Original picture here

33 comments:

  1. Heading out into the elements is invigorating. Today, one of the first really nice days, I ventured out into the yard and rediscovered why I love our place so much. Hello Spring.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, traveler. Thank you, wordsmith. What a happy combination they make in you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely analogy (as always!) - the open road is one of life`s greatest mysteries :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think it's interesting you posted these words. I have been thinking this to myself all week long: "I know I'm a writer because I try to describe everything to myself, from the trip to the grocery store, to a migration across a country" That's what I saw in your post. Writers take what they see and experience and want to describe it. I find myself fighting to put into words the things that seem impossible to put into words (and I don't always succeed!).

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like a nice drive! Where...? If it matters. Thanks for this!

    Peter G.

    ReplyDelete
  6. i love the thought of nature reclaiming what we think is ours, the roots of trees cracking asphalt, vines picking apart buildings, dirt covering over what use to be towns. i enjoyed reading this post.

    ReplyDelete
  7. thank you for sharing the road with us today, i felt the air as you drove down the highway, i could feel the crispness in my nostrils as you grinned at the snow on the trees and the sight of the hidden lake was captivating.

    i needed a road trip...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you for being spontaneous. The road trip sounded perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sometimes you have to just wander aimlessly until you get where you're going eh?

    ReplyDelete
  10. I understand where you are coming from.
    But sometimes the nicest road is the road home.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love the quote at the beginning. Beautiful post.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wherever you go, there you are... I think the difference between you and many of us is that you can describe the journey in much more vivid detail than others!

    ReplyDelete
  13. it's the journey, not the destination, that begs for the road less traveled.

    xxalainaxx

    ReplyDelete
  14. "Life has been my greatest teacher."

    Now that is beautiful, my friend.

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love the open road, need it now after reading this beautiful tribute to its wonders. Good for you taking an impromptu drive. Thank you for telling about it with your perfect words and phrases. xo

    ReplyDelete
  16. your words i feel, they tug at my heart, they want what you want... beautifully written, indigo!!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Yep. We're all travelers in one way or another.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Love that picture.

    I once drove across the U.S. with my sister and it was one of the best times of my life.

    Am actually itchy lately to get out and see something. Not just sit here and think.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Gorgeous picture and beautiful post. Loved it! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Your words soar, and lift us up to appreciate the world as you see it.

    ReplyDelete
  21. You are indeed 'an artist of the written word'. You paint such beautiful vivid pictures Indigo. Sigh!
    Lovely journey with you. Thanks for that my friend.
    Jeanie xx

    ReplyDelete
  22. "Carved upon my stone, my body lies but still I roam."

    Metallica

    ReplyDelete
  23. Beautifully written Indigo, as usual. It is that constant change, the forever inbetweenness that is life. Too bad we don't spend more time knowing it with open eyes and open mind, with sensativity, expectation,the sense of wonder and surprise you bring to it. Into what safe deposit does that ice go as it retreats from the shore?

    DB

    ReplyDelete
  24. I agree, the open road is exhilarating. As I drive on an extended road vacation, I often want to take a picture because of the beautiful new views. Of course, they are, instead, relegated to cherished memories.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Absolutely beautiful blog, incredible strength of words/EMOTIONS you grant here. I appreciate always the RTs along twitter & decided to explore. I am currently following here with my blogger account (however I use my wordpress blog much more frequently) ~ I am glad I've had the pleasure to step in here and view how incredibly talented you are. To this you share a gift to many. BEAUTIFUL! ~April

    ReplyDelete
  26. I started traveling when I was 12 - and when you travel, you really do begin to love those "in between" moments. Sometimes those in between moments were the only ones with any grace or beauty or peace in them. And travel, like life, has been one of my greatest teachers as well. :)

    ReplyDelete
  27. Wishing I was on the open road now...soon, real soon. winter has been longer than I expected for me. inching outside daily I begin to move again with the desire to be on the road again...

    ReplyDelete
  28. You took me along with you on the ride. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Beautifully written. I've been on those roads before. Some of my favorites are the ones I've never seen.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Your writing so so far above my head...but I love it. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  31. I love seeing what's around the next curve or over the next hill. Following deer trails is also a lot of fun and has led to some magical spots in the hills around my house.

    Thanks for that essay, I enjoyed the ride!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for giving my silence a voice, my muse your words, and taking the time to discover my prose.