Saturday, June 4, 2011

Voracious Details

“Knowledge of an apparently trivial detail quite often makes it possible to see into the depth of things.” - Dietrich Bonhoeffer

Photobucket

Bleach limbs stick out stark and naked like bones against the thriving summer green foliage of trees beside the desiccated birch. A gaunt and ugly eyesore - the noble sentinel refuses to give up his guard and place among the forest; drying moans of slick bark, stretching sunward and challenging the wind’s torment. Is the lone birch’s bravery lost among the mass of fawning perfection?

***

A rivulet of perspiration rolls down my neck, pausing in place until the oscillating warm air from the fan sweeps by, before gliding down a tendril of loose hair, and rolling toward t-shirt absorption. Eyes blink with salt tethers of heat haze and drone lazily across the floor to settle on fur puddles lazing traverse floor boards. A breathe escapes with a heavy pull and tug of lungs, as I grasp to breathe slow and steady against the weight of condensation. Summer’s tyranny is heat induced.
***

Hair windblown from the open window, the cool current carries the scent of deep woods; the kind of deep wood where the sun barely slants between leaden limbs of towering pine and oak. Moist, dark, soil deep scents, shades of sun blockers in a lost sea of branches and ferns. Ominous patches of dark back roads winding ever deeper into the depths of the mountain’s basement. Before falling into shadows gloam the road begins to spiral heavenward, desperate to catch the height of a crow’s flight.

Plowed fields span the girth of heaven, doused in a fermenting storm front. The breathless vista of far mountains bathed in mist hurts the heart. Nature calls with the spirit of earthen drums and the ground thrums beneath my feet. I ache to plant myself between the rows, forever lost in the visage before me. Pockets of splendor touched and untouched by civilization, lost in the knowing.

***

Life is found in the depths of the details. Whenever we gleam over the details in books, we miss the skin and bones which bring characters and words alive. We miss a chance to step into the author’s mind. Worlds and dreams become reality one small detail at a time through intricate descriptions and places we’ve never been.

More and more I’m left hungry for the details - the visual plethora of imaginations. If it’s not the destination but the journey – what are you looking for in your story or life?
- Indigo

Picture From Here

26 comments:

  1. Wonderful descriptions and observations. I wish I had the imaginations that fueled the words like these. Haunting yet beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My favorite of everything I've read of yours. Perfect words painting perfect pictures x

    ReplyDelete
  3. and the earth she breathes a common breath and like the hungry baby sparrows mouth, I greedily hold open hoping for a little of that to give me life.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautifully said. You have such a lovely dexterity with words. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the picture. Spring/Summer sensations are wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The picture if very poignant, especially considering what's going on with the Wall Street Journal. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thankyou for a lovely read ~ Ally x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Killer descriptions. :-)

    One of my crit-mates once said (actually, said quite often) that he "skips anything that isn't action." This was usually his comment if he hit a bit of description in a story I wrote for crit. Hey, guess what's coming! *Shrug.*

    This is why I love writing novels. I get to put so much more description and background info.

    ReplyDelete
  9. "The plethora of imaginations" are hard to come by when there is the big old hurry to get somewhere. So much to do. Who can stop to know where they are?

    My house mate chopped down the small dwarfish tree in the front because it wasn't putting out enough leaves. What I know, which she doesn't know, is that the tree has started to grow back. She will be gone before it makes it's first appearance.

    I used to draw pictures of that tree.

    DB

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very tactile writing. Your reader feels everything!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautiful writing, as always. You're right; details infuse our writing with life.

    ReplyDelete
  12. The more I slow down and absorb the details of daily life, the less frantic I am about the destination.

    ReplyDelete
  13. "Summer's tryanny is heat induced."

    That is going to be a line I use whenever someone is complaining about the weather. This took me back to memories of a time I know happened but were lost in a haze of old and dying brain cells. You are an evocative writer and even if I had never had the experience in my world, I do think that I can say I know from your sharing yours today!

    ReplyDelete
  14. So great! I am always captivated by your words. And I agree, when we skim, we miss the meat. =)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I so agree. Details. Tiny petals which make up the flower. The hairs on the upsdie of my arm that raise in warning or cold. Details. The way I move my fingers across the screen when I read you, as if braille, so I might deeper understand with the absence of sense.

    Beautifully written my friend! Hope you are well.

    ReplyDelete
  16. You took me on small trips here to places that weren't especially comfortable ~ that bony tree, the sweated heat, the swallowing deep ~ but your words were poetry pictures, and I'm glad I went there with you.

    ReplyDelete
  17. It's a mysterious process, no matter how deep we look, there always seems to be more.

    You writing here if very beautiful and poetic, thank you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Your writing is poetic and aliterative. It is so full of imagery that I am always in the moment with you as you write and describe what you are looking at.
    I love these journies. You are blossoming so beautifully my friend.
    Keep it up!
    I look forward to my next visit with you.
    Meanwhile..take care of yourself.
    Hugs
    Jeanie xx

    ReplyDelete
  19. Beautiful writing, Indigo. So incredibly descriptive.

    I would agree, life lives in the details because it is so often the details that catch our hearts or minds, that burn into our memory or make us smile.

    Life without details would be boring indeed; as would our writing.

    ReplyDelete
  20. My life has really been an adventure lately. I am still trying to find my way, but have refused to ask for directions!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Great question Indigo, "If it’s not the destination but the journey – what are you looking for in your story or life?" I'm looking for a place to make the twisted psyche places inside just curled, the scarred places just strong, and to find the blessed just here and now. I really love your writing.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Lovely words, as always! Speaking of hungering for details, I've just read a book called 1491. It's by Charles Mann and is all about the Americas pre- invasion and what is really known- in great detail, but for some reason NOT taught in schools. I think it should be required reading... but that's just me! ((Hugs))

    ReplyDelete
  23. I love reading your posts, so beautiful and watching the way your writing has evolved over the years. It makes me smile..

    ReplyDelete
  24. i remember being in the woods a lot during the summer as a child- they were like a shady refuge against the muggy massachusetts summers. sometimes, a cloudburst would come from over the mountains and we would have to run like crazy through the pasture that bordered the woods to get home before we got soaked.

    happy summer my friend.

    xxalainaxx

    ReplyDelete
  25. Indigo, I worte my journal entry for tomorrow, Monday, before I reread this one of yours. Somehow you were talking to me. I would be sitting between the rows if I could.

    I applaud the birch tree. Long may it wave.

    DB

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for giving my silence a voice, my muse your words, and taking the time to discover my prose.