Saturday, September 17, 2011

Words Float

“There are intangible realities which float near us, formless and without words; realities which no one has thought out, and which are excluded for lack of interpreters.” -
Natalie Clifford Barney

Photobucket

Words float in the space between two sets of deep brown eyes staring at one another almost nose to nose. In the muted glow of the bedside lamp, a cold black nose buries itself in long tendrils of hair smelling the essence of the woman she adores. She in turn, smiles and wraps her arms around the warm fur of the pup and pulls her close in an embrace. Quiet serenity rises to the surface of connection and floats on the dim cascades of light dust upward – spreading out beyond words.

A woman sits in the midst of flood debris on a kitchen chair in her yard, chin cradled in the palm of her hand. Heartbreak etches lines across her features, weighing her shoulders weary. The heavy sigh that escapes chokes in a spiral of clay and mud becoming airborne. I watch for a moment more as the car drives past and will words to strengthen and float on hope. In quiet defiance she still breathes. Words float between strangers in the intervals of reality.

A light chill kisses tender lips as they breathe in the crisp evening. Waves of cotton strata weave a cloak across the fading skyline. Bombast green leaves are red rimmed losing defiance against the coming autumn. My nose wrinkles at the cloying smell of crabapples rotting beneath heavy limbs. Before long deer will arrive and strip the foliage of the remaining fruit. I wrap the grandfather sweater tighter around me like a glove as if that alone could squeeze the words forth - words which quietly simmer in the silence, cloaked in my safe haven of fortunate.

Words float intangible, touching down on lives we’ve lived, spaces we’ve been, and memories which either soothe or strangle. They exist in between one heart beat and another, in second hesitations between breathing and holding on. Sometimes even writers can’t possibly interpret these passages floating down upon them in a space of a few words. We can’t dispute the essence which quivers on the tips of our tongues and leaves us mute. This knowledgeable existence of words is formless and entwined, paused amid moments.

The lexis between you and I, our unspoken vocabulary - spent a summer marinating in wisdom, speculation, and life. My words are adrift; here’s to hoping they find a delicate landing between my brown eyes and yours like the warm fur of a gentle pup.

*Dedicated to all the people in the neighboring area who recently lost homes and livelihoods in the Upstate NY floods. May your grace and courage continue to outshine the debris. - Indigo

Picture found here

32 comments:

  1. My heart goes out to all the people you speak about here. It seems to be feast or famine this year. Too much rain or none. It's hard both ways.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Powerful writing as always, and I'm so glad to see you doing some writing too. :-) Very nice use of separate vignettes to accentuate the concept of ideas and words floating between two points. The things unspoken that flow from one scene to the next in theme and atmosphere, but find no ground in language. Nicely done, Indy. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sometimes words fail us. But from the spirit within us, the wordless prayer rises to the Ears who know all that's in our hearts.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your words are beautiful, and surely do touch lives. Thank you x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Like EO said sometimes there are no words only the emotion that connects beings. I would hope for it to be more common to be connected by the good happenstances than the foul but then that is just a fools dream. Like you say..Chin up to all them flooded out. Stuff can be replaced and fixed. Working together makes it easier.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the first paragraph, you and Pickles.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Floods are debilitating and so disheartening. My heart goes out to all of those we are trying so desperately to recover.

    Your words always fill me with wonder, Indigo. Thanks so much for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your words personalizes the loss and give me a tangible picture of what went on. We tend to forget the small suffering of people when it does not receive or attain celebrity notice...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Devastating. Life can be so intolerable cruel sometimes.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I agree with the others. My heart goes out to them all. Beautiful post Indigo.

    ReplyDelete
  11. We are all connected with words and not..Nature's disturbances connects us even more..as said before sometimes there are no words...but love your entry here which connects us...

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your words are not adrift. They find harbor between this brown-eyed girl and you. I feel they have always been safe here...whether in storm or in lull, they have a compass. They know where they are...these words. A soft landing indeed. I have missed your writing friend!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Beautifully expressed thoughts on loss and Nature's indifference to who we are or what we possess. She's most equal in how she storms into our lives, then leaves us to sort out what to do with Her aftermath.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Sometimes the best communication is in those words that float -- like the special language between you and Pickles -- feelings that come from the heart and don't need to be spoken out loud.

    ReplyDelete
  15. It is so hard to imagine what people go through after natural disasters. My heart goes out to all of the people who were affected by the hurricane and floods. Your post is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love how you describe the descent into fall. It's getting crisp and ashy-smelling where I am too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wonderful words, dear Indigo. It is the unspoken words that can either harm or heal. I know that your brown eyes are filled with healing warmth.

    ReplyDelete
  18. This is lovely.

    When you talk about things between moments that you can't write down, it makes me think of the intimacy existing between writer and reader, the vulnerability a writer exhibits in putting it down the best she can and hoping the reader will "get it".

    ReplyDelete
  19. "Words float!" Yes they do...especially as the synapses fire thoughts from one to another, quite similar to what you write here: "Words float in the space between two sets of deep brown eyes..."

    And I resonated with these lines too, "Words float intangible, touching down on lives we’ve lived, spaces we’ve been, and memories which either soothe or strangle. They exist in between one heart beat and another, in second hesitations between breathing and holding on."

    What an enjoyable feast of wonderfully crafted words you spun out for me today! Thanks for sharing! Roger ☺

    ReplyDelete
  20. i have really missed your words. so very much.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hi Indigo,

    The power your words convey a treasure trove of images, feelings and rhythms that are beyond words. Keep floating your sensational heartfelt words and blessing the world with your amazing talent. Hugz! :D

    ReplyDelete
  22. What a beautiful control of words you have...I'm happy for your gift

    ReplyDelete
  23. I love your blog, Indigo. If I didn't have such a ripping headache I would linger to read tonight. I'm just skimming. But thank you for your comment over at The Writer's Hole. I really do appreciate your stopping by.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Again a beautifully worded entry Indigo. Your talent shines bright and your heart displays such goodness. Thanks for stopping by my friend and I hope that all is well with you up on the smoke...

    Mik

    ReplyDelete
  25. So very powerful and moving are your posts, my dear!! Love coming here and being inspired by your words!

    ReplyDelete
  26. good to see you. the last graph was especially moving, though you have passion everyplace.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Your words float through the spaces in my mind and land deep in my heart. It's as if I "read" your writing with my whole body. Beautiful and touching.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Oh my, what a beautiful post. Stunning. Just stunning.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Took my breath away and blew my mind.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Amazing, as always. I love your words. (hugs)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for giving my silence a voice, my muse your words, and taking the time to discover my prose.