Monday, October 17, 2011

From One Coffin to Another

Photobucket'Tis now the very witching time of night, when churchyards yawn and hell itself breathes out contagion to this world…Deep into the darkness peering, long I stood there, wondering, fearing, doubting, dreaming dreams no mortal ever dared to dream before.

The above quotes belong to none other than William Shakespeare and Edgar Allan Poe. Don’t they make a haunting compilation - interesting dinner guest you’d invite to the table on All Hallows Eve? This time of year is fertile ground for a host of dead poets and authors to frighten one’s muse out of hiding.

Do you hear the chalkboard on nails screeching at the window, making the hair curl on the back of your neck and sending a chill up your spine like a Latino ghoul dancing a salsa? I do, shrill, bone deep enough for even my deaf ears. My candle was nearly burnt out, when, by the glimmer of the half-extinguished light, I saw the dull yellow eye. (Mary Shelley)

Ah, but why take up company with the dead. Dead is dead. Besides they can always be dug up for a macabre dance or a séance. Why not visit with other dreadful (ghoul inspiring) writers of the uncanny and destitute or just plain horrifying? The living versions of course, although truly…frightening personas in their own rights. How do you come about such an invite? I’ll be glad to twist your spine and help decapitate all remaining brain cells of sanity…by sending you here --> The Coffin Hop. A place where you’ll find the likes of Anthony J. Rapino, Milo James FowlerAaron Polson - danse macabre friends of my muse, among others.

Photobucket

Oh, alright already, I’ll tell you what the Coffin Hop is, since apparently I twisted your spinal column a little (just a tad) too hard and cut off a few synapses. To be frank, you get a chance to visit multiple horror writers October 24-31st for a thrill fest of a time. Some I’ve heard are even offering up a few treats in place of tricks. To be honest, I would prefer a trick that would freeze a scream in my throat, but that’s me. No, no, there will be nothing from yours truly. I prefer to wait and skin myself alive down to pulsing vein and muscle sometime in the future. *Sly grin* You had no idea? Oh, you poor soul. It’s always the most innocent one you need to watch out for.

“I could not help feeling that they were evil things - mountains of madness whose farther slopes looked out over some accursed ultimate abyss.” H.P. Lovecraft (Still visiting with the old ones, go on already breathe new life into the fresh bait).

Photobucket

19 comments:

  1. I would love to have Edgar over for dinner. What a melancholy, yet intriguing, guest he would be. Thanks for the links and the ghoulish words.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooh...I don't think I need another blog fest. I'm feeling a bit overwhelmed at the moment. However that moving head up and down sure is creepy. Where on earth did you find it?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that compilation quote at the beginning! That was delicious! I wish I had tome for horror writer week. I am so busy, and I keep wondering what happened? Just a few months ago I was bored out of my mind, and now I am weary out of my mind. Ha! At least I am consistently out of my mind. Hope you are well and feeling great.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fun! I think my mind has been on these themes as well - dead things! decay! strange and hidden moments of darkness!+ the like. Thanks for the read - glad to see you up an' writing. I will check the link if time allows (edit, edit edit cat edit edit edit cat edit sip edit edit cat sip edit, rinse repeat and eat if you think of it - you know the routine! and a pleasure it all is, too)

    ReplyDelete
  5. there - linked my feed to the coofin hop. Now I can watch things unfold.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've been so very busy - I haven't had time to get into the mood around the coming evening before All Saints Day. Or All Souls Day. Or whatever the heck it is. But I see you have. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great quotes! I'm such a wimp with horror!!! Still have nightmares from reading a couple of King books a few decades ago... :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. @Jemi: Stephen King is so much fun. Perhaps the most talented novelist America has ever produced, vulgar idiom and a slew of really bad work aside. May he last a few more Octobers.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for the mention! :-) You should have warned the kind folks here about what sort of depraved sicko I am before they innocently wander onto my blasphemous site. Then again... *evil grin*

    The Coffin Hop should be a lot of fun. Every site is giving something away, so lots of prizes to be had.

    ReplyDelete
  10. i am too much of a fraidy cat to read truly good horror. maybe tony can read it to me instead :D

    xxalainaxx

    ReplyDelete
  11. LOL... I am like the Mrs. Miss... in that I too eschew the genre of horror fiction... or is it fiction..?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yeah! I love Edgar's tormented creepiness. LOL I'm looking forward to his movie, though Cusack seems an odd choice to me. *shrugs* Anyway, saw you over at Cat's and thought I'd drop by.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Okay that bobbing head is too funny. Lol!

    ReplyDelete
  14. The Coffin Hop sounds like horrific fun! Thanks for telling us about it.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Whoa. That head thingy made me jump! The hop sounds great. I may have to check it out.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I've been seeing that Coffin Hop thing everywhere and wondered what it was and now I know :D

    ReplyDelete
  17. It's lovely to meet you in this graveyard full of ghosts, my sweet.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for giving my silence a voice, my muse your words, and taking the time to discover my prose.