Wednesday, December 21, 2011

The Spirit of the Season

“I heard the bells on Christmas Day; their old familiar carols play, and wild and sweet the word repeat of peace on earth, good-will to men!” – Henry Wadsworth Longfellow


Photobucket

The picture above is my Christmas tree this year, which is pretty much the same view from one year to another, with the exception of ornaments playing merry-go-round and trading places. The framed mural behind the tree blinded by the brilliance of multi-color lights is an electric guitar beside the words ‘When Words Fail, Music Speaks’.

To my deaf ears music is the twining of the chords played upon an individual’s spirit, the basis for our compassion, dreams, hopes, and most of all our actions. The mural says more about the holiday season to me than the tree itself. You see, regrettably I sometimes forget the simple truths around me on display all throughout the year and conspire with Grinch like devotion to fill the space beneath the tree to overflowing. ‘When Words Fail, Music Speaks’ – with a Grinch’s heart I silence my spirit, those inner chords with murmurs of more this and more that, until I’m bereft of any music at all and undeniably words have failed.

A kind word from a stranger or loved one strikes a chord from within, a helping hand and a bit of compassion strums a few more chords and ‘Music Speaks’. Perhaps there is no true season for giving, maybe it’s a little bit more - a reminder of what we can give of ourselves the whole year long. This season, this year, in this moment...listen to the twang of your fellowman’s spirit playing loud and clear and add your own to the orchestra of life. Without a doubt, you’ll leave a more lasting impression than anything else found under the tree.

“When Christmas bells are swinging above the fields of snow, we hear sweet voices ringing from lands of long ago, and etched on vacant places are half-forgotten faces of friends we used to cherish, and loves we used to know.” – Ella Wheeler Wilcox

From my spirit to yours,
Merry Christmas! I’ll see you in the New Year sweet friends!
Indigo Ravenwood

22 comments:

  1. You have a lovely tree. Merry Christmas to you and yours. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely! Wishing you the most wonderful of holiday and only the very best for the coming new year xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. A kind word from a stranger or loved one strikes a chord from within, a helping hand and a bit of compassion strums a few more chords and ‘Music Speaks’. Perhaps there is no true season for giving, maybe it’s a little bit more - a reminder of what we can give of ourselves the whole year long.





    AMEN!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your tree is beautiful. May you have a nice Christmas and a good New Year.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love your tree!

    The holidays do serve to remind us of our better parts and better dreams. I hope you enjoy a fabulous Christmas filled with love and smiles! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. And from my spirit back to yours. Hope there is something special for Pickles under the beautiful tree.

    I am not the biggest fan of Christmas time because I think we should have the giving and kind spirit year round...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Merry Christmas...Happy New Year Indigo!!! wonderful thoughts..thank you! May your holidays be bright and the New Year too..((HUGZ!!!))

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your tree is beautiful...
    Wishing you a very Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year..
    Sheri

    ReplyDelete
  9. That tree is a work of art! Many blessing to you Indigo.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Please know that your words sing, and remind others of the song x

    Have a beautiful Christmas and thank you for so often reminding me of what matters

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a fantastic tree! I hope your holiday season is filled with blessings and joy. Your words always resonate like beautiful music......

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wonderful, beautiful post. These are things I tend to forget from time to time. Truths I once held much closer, and with every year need to seek out.

    Merry Christmas, Indy!

    ReplyDelete
  13. On the wings of the Eagle, in the Smoke of the Fire, I send you my heartfelt wishes for joy and prosperity in heart and mind, through the Holidays and all the days to come.

    ReplyDelete
  14. AMAZING tree Indigo! So full and beaming! Sometimes we need to be reached and music is the only hand extended. Sometimes it's the only vibration we CAN feel. Where would I be without the songs that heal me, move me, turn on the water works when I need to cry?

    Merry Christmas Indigo. Wishing you the best 2012 you've ever had ;)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Merry Christmas, Indigo, and all the very best for 2012.

    Writing is music.

    ReplyDelete
  16. That's a gorgeous tree. Merry Christmas, INdigo

    ReplyDelete
  17. The music that your ears miss this time of year indeed does radiate through the song of your words and creations, your tree sings of your spirit and we all hear it and see it. Merry Christmas Indigo!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Beautiful tree Indigo. Have a Happy New Year and I hope you get a wish or two in the coming year :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Dear Indigo, I hope that you had a good Christmas. I love the lights at Christmas. It helps keep the dark away that winter brings so early. Wishing you the best in 2012.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I hope you and Paul had a wonderful Christmas! I wish you both all good things in the coming new year.

    Love & Hugs,
    Beth

    ReplyDelete
  21. Indigo, beautiful post and I almost missed this one. Have a blessed 2012 - yes, Christmas is just a little bit more :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. that tree is GORGEOUS. so full and so bright! hope your holidays were reminiscent of the same, lovely.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for giving my silence a voice, my muse your words, and taking the time to discover my prose.